Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

About Me

Why do I feel like I can write about ADHD?

Well, I'm very passionate about the topic. Obviously. I'm raising a family and (most likely) all four of us have ADD/ADHD. I currently have one part time job that ends in June, so I have a little bit of time that I can apply to research. And I see that there needs to be a change in the way society depicts this evolution in thinking.

My background

I have an MBA in Strategic Management and my undergraduate is in Public Relations. Up until recently, I worked at a Bank doing analytical work. I've been researching articles on ADHD/ADD in the workplace. There are so few of them it's disheartening.

I wasn't formally diagnosed with ADHD until I was 27 years old. I started out by meeting with a counselor. Through the course of our sessions, she began to discuss symptoms of ADD and ADHD. First, my husband (Mike) was diagnosed with ADD (he is much more mellow than me). Once he knew and began treating it (with both counseling and medicine) I saw a huge change. Then I thought about me, my temper, lack of memory, inability to focus, the unfinished projects, the credit card bills from impulsive spending… I went to my counselor and said, "I think I might have ADHD, I would like to be tested." She said that she thought that was a terrific idea. When the results came back, I had moderate to high ADHD. The next step was going to my doctor to confirm the diagnosis. I won't forget that visit. My doc wasn't even shocked. Prior to diagnosis, I had been treated for other issues like depression. But depression was just a side effect of undiagnosed ADHD.

If you have ADD or ADHD, you've always had it. I had a ton of warning signs as a child, but the condition was not well understood. It was thought to effect mainly males and that you out grew it as an adult. However, it never goes away, we just learn different coping mechanisms as we age. So, as a kid, I had a difficult time maintaining friendships. I was teased, a lot. I didn't feel like I ever really fit in. And I am thankful for that small group of friends that saw past this. I did "good" in school, I wasn't challenged to the point I needed to study but still achieved B+ or higher. In college, I couldn't read the text books. I would read the same paragraph 20 times and still not be able to tell you what was the topic was about. I wanted to be tested. I thought there was something different. But at this time, I wasn't supported. And I still passed my classes so, it was thought that I was having too much fun in school.

I lost my first job out of college because I couldn't cope with my ADHD symptoms. Again, I sought out testing, but I didn't follow through. I was only 20 at the time. I did get my MBA prior to diagnosis. And, as it was pointed out to me, I probably won't have succeeded without ADHD. I did my capstone project, while working full time and managing a new born baby.

My AHAs!!

I watched this documentary called "ADD & Loving it". And it made me realize that ADD/HD does not have to be a bad thing or something to hide. I learned that there are certain careers that I am fitted for and ones that I am not. I also saw that for all of the negative connotations that are associated with ADD/HD there are twice as many positive ones. This meant I could be happy with me, ADHD and all. I didn't have to correct me to conform; instead I have to set up a lifestyle that works for me and my family.

With my daughter starting school and listening to other kids with ADD/HD and seeing that while the school she is in is most likely better than traditional public school, it still see areas where improvement is needed. It takes A LOT of time to ensure the best education for your kids. Not all parents can give the time because they have work so hard to make ends meet. I really believe that it does take a village to raise one child. I would love to think that I have other adults that love my children and want them to succeed so they will be able to "fill-in" for me. Be another person that my kids can confide in. As a society, we are erring by not developing these support systems.

What to except

I will go off on tangents separate from the subject that I started on. I will miss words in my sentences (hopefully not ones that are too important). However, if someone wants to volunteer to edit my works, I will listen.

These are my opinions, my experiences and research that pertains to what I think is relevant. Challenge me, just provide up-to-date sources, and I will share and write about it.

I don't have all the answers. In fact, I don't have most of them. Education, however, is needed. I will provide what I think good tools are for Non-ADD/ADHD people working with us ADDers and how I cope with different experiences. I welcome comments and stories, please share!!

What not to except (disclaimer)

I am not a medical doctor or a psychologist. I do not have the tools to diagnose, and even if I did, I wouldn't do it over a blog. I STRONGLY discourage self-diagnosis. If you think that you have ADD or ADHD seek a professional. I have a counselor that I work with and a doctor that I confide in, I have a support system of fantastic family members and friends that have seen past my quirks. I cannot provide these items for you. Please seek them out.

Why now?

I've asked myself this question a lot. I've considered starting blogs or writing novels or a million other things. Now I am in a position where I have nothing left to lose. I was afraid to air my ADHD challenges and victories on a blog because I didn't want to be judged by peers or lose my job. Well, I've already lost my job. And as far as people judging me, I'd be judged without a blog just as much with one. My family might not always be happy with me or what I write but they will still love me.

I've also grown into myself. This is an excerpt from my journal that I wrote on 3-4-11, it puts it into perspective

Yesterday, I had a conversation that has brought my current situation into perspective, it was about transitions. It was a conversation about life in general and the other participant was discussing their own life story. He said that something happens in your 30s, you develop your persona and become who you are. This was in the context of why a lot of companies will hire younger MBAs fresh out of college. They are easier to mold to the company's direction, whereas people with more life experience might view a different way of accomplishing the same task, they are harder to mold to a company and challenge authority more. It was then that I realized that from the time I started my most recent professional career at 23 until its ending at 32 years old, I gained a world of perspective. And somewhere through the course of the last nine years my personal and work values separated from the company's values. I became me and since I like who I am, that's a very good thing.

I don't want my children to be grouped incorrectly in school. They are both so intelligent. I would be devastated if a school put them in remedial class because they don't learn the same way.

I don't want to see anyone not succeed in a place of business because other people don't get it.

To sum it up:

  1. I'm ready to lay it on the line
  2. There is a definite, visible need for education of this in the school and workplace.

1 comment:

  1. From my experiences with AD/HD it seems that those with it tend to be more creative and very intelligent! I really hope the negativity around it will subside!

    ReplyDelete