Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Emotionally Impulsive

For me, there is a large difference between ADD & ADHD. People with ADD are a lot quieter than us ADHDers. Both groups, of course, run into the challenge of focus. But with ADHD, I tend to show all of my emotions at once. When I am angry, I can't always compartmentalize in order to do the socially acceptable thing which is address it later. I tend to be impulsive. I want to solve the problem NOW. Then I can move on. Of course the other person or people in the equation don't always move on as quickly as I do.

I've noticed that while my impulsiveness is curbed by meds, it tends to flare up in stressful situations that have no direction. Let me explain, being impulsive, can be very helpful in a crisis situation. I can process information rapidly, draw quick conclusions, and make decisive and usually correct decisions. I can do this with little immediate emotional involvement. However, when I have to rely on someone else to give the okay, it causes stress and stress tends to break down my calm façade and all of my emotions come rolling out in one big bundle. Then I freeze. I can't decide what do to first. So, I don't do anything. Or worse, I do the wrong thing.

I know that I am not alone in this. I've observed other people with Attention issues and or hyperactive issues go through this same process. I believe that people with ADHD need one of two things to avoid be emotionally impulsive. One, they need to be in charge of the situation. Yep, many CEOs have ADHD, again Richard Branson, also the CEO of Jet Blue, and I am sure there are many more. Or two, they need a well-structured setting with clear deadlines and priorities. Oh, and within this well-structured in environment, there needs to be some type of intellectual challenge and the ability to be creative.

People with ADD & ADHD are not meant to preform anything that they find boring (for me it is clerical work and data entry). First, its an underuse of ability. Second, boredom causes stress. Third, it can be the simplest thing in the world, but it won't be done well because when you are bored you just don't care as much.

This type of reasoning should be applied in the school system as well. Consider this, when taking aptitude test (yes, I have saved all of mine from high school and job personality tests). I've tested average or just above on basic numerical ability/calculation (the boring stuff). However, on numerical reasoning, which uses numerical calculation to determine the patterns, I score VERY high. Same with probability and statistics.

And even though I don't have the research to back up the following statement, I bet that you find the same trend in people with ADD/HD. It might be in numerical, verbal, or mechanical reasoning. The reasoning skills would be higher than the basic skills. So if I student with ADD/HD is behind in math, look at their reasoning ability. I bet is off the charts. If they are reasoning what number next in the sequence, they are using simple math to determine the pattern, it just provides more of a challenge. I would love to see an educator try out this theory in the school system. It's just a different way to meet the same end.

Another thought on this, provide by my super smart husband, that if you are finding the missing number, you have a purpose in completing the problem. However, if you don't have a reason for solving the problem its boring and becomes harder to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment